AA World Services Questionnaire and quotes from 'Alcoholics Anonymous' text .
( Could be applied to most any substance or activity - simply substitute words related to drinking with words pertinent to the substance or activity in question. )
- Have you ever decided to stop drinking for a week or so, but only lasted for a couple of days?
- Do you wish people would mind their own business about your drinking-- stop telling you what to do?
- Have you ever switched from one kind of drink to another in the hope that this would keep you from getting drunk?
- Have you had to have an eye-opener upon awakening during the past year?
- Do you envy people who can drink without getting into trouble?
- Have you had problems connected with drinking during the past year?
- Has your drinking caused trouble at home?
- Do you ever try to get "extra" drinks at a party because you do not get enough?
- Do you tell yourself you can stop drinking any time you want to, even though you keep getting drunk when you don't mean to?
- Have you missed days of work or school because of drinking?
- Do you have "blackouts"?
- Have you ever felt that your life would be better if you did not drink?
If you answered YES to one of the questions, this is a warning that you may be addicted.
If you answered YES to any two, there's a good chance that you are addicted.
If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely addicted.